If you are organising a private yacht charter, Mediterranean islands will probably be high on your to-do list. For something really different, however, how about exploring some of the lesser-known, private islands, that few ever get to see?
One of the most affordable, yacht charter-style holidays available is through taking on a yacht share, where you get to enjoy all the freedom of yachting, without the prohibitive expense.
Let’s take a look at some of the coolest and most interesting private islands in the Mediterranean.
On a private yacht charter: Mediterranean islands to visit…
Private Mediterranean islands with hotels & spas
Most easily accessed by private yacht charter, Mediterranean island hotels and spas offer the ultimate in privacy and exclusivity.
- Cavallo Island, near Corsica, enjoys soft, white beaches and is home to an exclusive spa, making it ideal for indulgent weekend breaks.
- Li Galli is a truly magnificent private island on Italy’s Amalfi coast, which boasts an exclusive resort for up to twelve guests.
- Ile de Bendor is a tiny, palm-filled island close to Bandol on the French Riviera, which boasts several fashionable hotels.
Private Mediterranean islands with stunning scenery
A private yacht charter in the Mediterranean offers exclusive access to islands boasting beautiful scenery, where beaches are abundant.
- Near Skorpios, Odyssey island has a beautiful bay and acres of pine-scented hills, olive and vine-terraces.
- Patroklos, close to Athens, boasts olive groves, pine forests, grazing goats and large, sandy beaches, with surrounding waters rich in sea life.
- The Embiez Archipelago comprises five tiny islands near Sanary-sur-Mer in the south of France, offering beautiful beaches, pine forests and a vineyard producing Côtes de Provence wines.
- Just a short hop from Ibiza, Isla de sa Ferradura boasts a private beach and a fairytale waterfall which leads to a subtropical lagoon.
Private Mediterranean islands where you can stay a while
Ideal for visiting friends during a private yacht charter, Mediterranean island villas offer glamour, exclusivity and the ultimate in privacy.
- Near Ibiza, the exclusive island of Tagomago offers sophisticated accommodation world’s away from its neighbour’s frenetic party atmosphere.
- Not far from Croatia’s Korcula island, tiny Vela Sestrica offers unusual accommodation in its lighthouse Korkyra, built in 1871 and renovated in 2014.
- Amalfi Island, which faces Capri, boasts a glamorous villa transformed by Le Corbusier from a fortification and once owned by Rudolf Nureyev.
Private Mediterranean islands for sale
By taking affordable yacht charters, you could always splash out on an island of your own.
- Spalathronisi island in northern Greece boasts some of the world’s cleanest beaches, as well as forests and olive trees, and could be yours for around €10m.
- Just off Sardinia, Isola di Mal di Ventre is a tiny diamond of rock and scrub, with sandy shores and sheep that graze on its fragrant wild herbs. For just €1.5m, you could convert its former shepherd’s hut into an extremely private beach house of your own.
For anyone embarking on a private yacht charter, Mediterranean islands are as numerous as they are beautiful. One of the easiest ways to enjoy regular trips is to consider shared yacht ownership, which allows you all the freedom to explore, with none of the stress.