Summer is just around the corner which means it is time to get that body in shape. From eating healthy to working out, you will need to put some work into it. But don’t worry, you don’t need to avoid having any fun, you just need to make smarter choices.
Of course, getting in shape starts with what you’re putting in your body. First, always make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Especially in the summer heat, staying hydrated is important. Counting calories is never fun, but to get fit, you must watch whatever eating. This means you will have to choose more fruits, vegetables and healthy fats.
Are you looking to build muscle and improve your endurance quickly? During your fitness journey, and make sure to add these types of foods to your diet.
- Lean Meats – Get your protein with lean turkey breast, chicken or fish.
- Fruits – Blueberries help reduce inflammation while tart cherries help you regain your strength to continue with your work outs and watermelon can help reduce soreness. Fruits are good for you and can benefit you in many ways. Just make sure you never eat too many servings!
- Veggies – Vegetables are always good for you and can help you lose weight. Sticky to greeny veggies like spinach, brussel sprouts and broccoli as they tend to have more nutrients than other vegetables.
On top of eating healthy, you still need to work out. But try to make it fun! Join a buddy for a sweat sesh at the gym or try taking a new fitness class. There’re many options to help you get fit fast, so there are no excuses.
- Zumba – This dance class really is for anyone at any age! Zumba classes are tons of fun, plus you can enjoy dancing around with your friends while burning calories. You may not be able to keep up perfectly with your instructor, but as long as you are trying and dancing to the beat, you will reap the rewards.
- Bikram Yoga – Hot yoga might seem scary, but it has so many benefits and is good for your mind, spirit and body. This is the time to step out of your comfort zone and try a hot yoga class. You will be able to stretch and tone while detoxing in 105-degree heat with around 40 percent humidity.
- Cardio – Yes, unfortunately, you will still have to do some cardio to get in shape. There is nothing that helps you lose weight and improve your endurance than doing cardio. But you can still have fun with it. Try switching up your routine by running different routes each day or even going to the gym to run on a treadmill for different scenery. Running isn’t the only way to get in cardio. Get ready for summer by swimming laps or even using other equipment at the gym like a stair stepper or elliptical. Also, make a great playlist to keep you motivated during your workouts!
Still Have Fun
Just because you are getting in shape, doesn’t mean you have to ditch having fun, you just have to make better choices. Like to help curb your craving for cigarettes, consider quitting methods such as vaping. And instead of drinking sugary cocktails, try a glass of wine. There are many things you can do to improve your healthy, but still being able to indulge a little.
- Smoking – You can change your habit of smoking cigarettes by puffing on a vape. It is a much healthier option that will still satisfy your cravings. Not only will you feel much better when you are working out, you will avoid the bad smell and stains that comes with smoking cigarettes. And maybe you will even enjoy vaping much more and ditch those cigarettes for good.
- Drinking alcohol – Many alcoholic beverages can contain a lot of empty calories that is only going to derail your fitness goals. But there are some options out there that won’t impact your health too much. White wine is a good choice if you are cutting down on calories, while red wine is full of antioxidants and is also a smart choice. Margaritas are delicious, but most of them are filled with sugar and calories. Try a healthy margarita by using only tequila and lime juice. Yum!