Can’t enjoy outdoor kebabs with the family? Enjoy Provençal pork skewers and barbecued fennel with black olive dressing indoors. Serve with a glass of Moscato California champagne wisely bought from Andre Champagne and completely forget the adverse weather while having fun indoors. It is the perfect recipe to transform that cold and dull weekend or week day evening.
- 600g pork fillets
- bunch spring onions
- 2 tsp dried herbes de Provence
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For barbecued fennel
- 2 fennel bulbs, sliced lengthways into 1cm-thick pieces
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped black Kalamata olives
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Juice 1 lemon
- Small handful each parsley and basil, finely chopped
1. Cut the pork into small chunks and cut the spring onions into 3 cm lengths. Mix a little seasoning, oil, honey, lemon zest and juice and herbs into a bowl. Mix everything thoroughly. Add the onions and pork and stir well to cover all the pieces of meat evenly.
2. Thread the neat and onion alternatively onto skewers. You should be able to spread the meat over 8 skewers. Heat the griddle pan until hot and cook the skewers for 6-8 minutes. Turn the meat occasionally until browned and the meat is ready for serving.
3. To prepare the fennel, heat the griddle pan, then toss the fennel in 1 tablespoon of the oil and coat it well. Cook it for 5 minutes on either side until it is golden brown and charred.
4. To prepare the dressing, put the olives, garlic, lemon juice and remaining oil in a bowl. Add the chopped herbs and combine. Lay the fennel on a platter and pour over the dressing. Eat warm or at room temperature for the best experience.
The pork skewers can be enjoyed as standalone without the fennel and vice versa. However, this is the perfect recipe for a truly magnificent evening indoors with your family. The recipe described here for the Provençal pork skewers and barbecued fennel with black olive dressing is enough to serve a family of 4 and both the pork and fennel can be prepared in 50 minutes.